This stunning no-bake tart came together when I happened to have dates, cashews, and a ripe avocado laying around during a particular fit of Sunday boredom.
While I’ve never been a huge fan of sweet applications of avocado (except avocado yogurt smoothies, they can get it) – you can’t taste any hint of avocado in this dessert, instead it lends its creamy texture to the intense chocolatey flavor.
With no only natural sweetener and and tons of healthy fats, it’s actually maybe sort of healthy? At least healthier than chocolate cake – not that I would ever sleep on cake, I’m just not going to feel as good after eating multiple servings; and I can happily report that after eating half the tart, I had no ill effects whatsoever except being full for most of the day.
I promise, vegans, non-vegans, and avocado haters alike will swoon – in a blind taste test at a summer potluck, only 1 person out of 10 could tell it had avo in it. Convinced yet?
Summer Berry Vegan Chocolate Mousse Tart
- 1 1/2 cups Cashews or nuts of choice
- 1 cup Dates or Dried Fruit of Choice
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 3 Tbsp Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Combine all crust ingredients in a food processor until fine crumbles form.
- Press evenly into a greased 8-or-9-inch springform pan, tart pan, or cake pan with removable bottom. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- 12 oz Ripe Avocado Flesh (around 2 cups mashed)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 8-10 oz Dark Chocolate Chips (or broken up bars)
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 3 Tbsp Maple Syrup (or honey or agave), or more to taste
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Summer Berries
- Flaked Salt
- Desiccated Coconut
- Mint Sprigs
- For the filling, first carefully melt the chocolate by microwaving for 30 seconds at a time and stirring until melted.
- Add all filling ingredients to a blender or food processor, and blend until completely smooth. Taste and adjust sweetness and chocolatey-ness
- Pour over the crust, and add berries and other garnishes to the top. Refrigerate until firm.
Store leftovers covered in the fridge 3-4 days – if they last that long.